Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Kindergarten baby and a second grade angel

 
Do you remember the song, "Kindergarten babies, first grade tots, second grade angels, third grade snots, fourth grade peaches and fifth grade pears, and all the rest are BIG FAT BEARS!"
 
Oh man. I love school. Really.
 
I LOVE school supplies too. I am not sure why, but walking through ailes and ailes of pencils, glue, markers and crayons just makes me happy! I have to restrain myself from buying too much! Speaking of school supplies, this year we spent almost $40.00 for Anna and Carter! That seems a bit ridiculous! Of course I did let them pick notebooks with a picture on it instead of the plain colored ones that were only .17 cents....but I couldn't help myself....I never got to pick the "cool" items and my mom always bought what was cheapest....nothing wrong with that...but this year I gave in and Carter got a Spider Man notebook and Anna got a horse and Munster High notebook.
 
It made us happy.
 
Well, this year started off great for Anna. Being in second grade, she is quite the "know-it-all", especially now that Carter is in Kindergarten! I haven't had to prepare Carter much because Anna will tell him everything he needs to know....even if he doesn't want to hear it! Haha! Her first day she wanted me to walk her to her class. She was a bit shy, like always, but she is into the swing of things now and doing great!
 
Kindergarten for Carter has been a whole different experience than it was when Anna started kindergarten! When he had to go to the school for his "screening" so the teachers could evaluate where he is at, he just jumped right in and didn't show a bit of anxiety or shyness! He did GREAT during his screening and we think he will be a fast learner like Anna. His first day of school went awesome too! I walked him to his class, helped him hang up his coat and backpack, then he got in line with his class, said "Goodbye" and off they went! He is really enjoying it!
 
Anna and Carter ride home on the bus, and Anna is really liking actually being able to walk home with other kids, since last year she was pretty much alone. It is so fun to see them come through the front door and have loads to tell me about their day! They are always so hungry when they get home, so we stocked up on after-school snacks too....I have to keep reminding Russ that they are not for him!
 
Kya doesn't really know what to do without Anna to torment and Carter to play with. I am planning on doing some "school" with her while they are gone, but with a 5 week old baby, it is hard to get anything done besides the most basics! Kya is so smart and learning so much already and it is a blast to listen to her talk in sentences and watch her do all the little funny things she does! Her BIG personality has just come out full force this summer!
 
Anyhoo, we are surviving the new school year and just enjoying life in general. A few months ago Russ hurt his back, had an MRI and discovered he had two herniated discs. He was in a lot of pain and couldn't go to school or work. He got a cortizone shot about 6 weeks after he hurt his back and he is doing so much better! He had to face some set backs in school because of it and had to medically withdraw, which stinks, but we know that in the eternal scheme of life, what matters most is our commitment to Heavenly Father and the covenants we have made, and how soon he finishes school or when we get a house or when he gets a job are not such a big deal. We know we can be happy where we are right now.
 
Besides...being bitter or angry or depressed about the setbacks we are facing isn't really much fun....all it does is give you a headache all too often and make you miserable to be around. It is better to be optimistic and count your blessings, right?
 
Photo
 
Other happenings around here: we blessed Brennen the first Sunday of September and I was truly touched by the blessing Russ gave him. I know that Brennen was supposed to be a part of our family and I am so glad we were surprised last fall to find out we were expecting. I might not have been able to run my half marathon this year because of his birth, but I am already in the process of training for one next year! Saturday I ran almost 3 miles....very slowly....but it feels good to start to be active again! It, however, does not feel good running with a bust much bigger than I am accustomed to!

Here are a few more pictures until next time!

Photo: Donuts are the best for breakfast!

Photo: He's a happy boy during the day!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo: Good Morning!! Don't forget to eat a good breakfast and remember to be happy!

We are a happy family!

A thought to end on:

THE PENCIL MAKER

The pencil maker took the pencil aside, just before putting him into the box.

"There are five things you need to know," he told the pencil, "before I send you out into the world. Always remember them, never forget, and you will become the best pencil you can be."

1. You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in Someone's hand.
2. You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you'll need it to become a better pencil.
3. You will be able to correct any mistake you might make.
4. The most important part of you will always be what's inside.
5. On every surface you are used on, you will leave your mark.

Cute, eh? I thought so. Simple, but it gives you lots to think about.

1 comment:

Erica Bazil said...

I always love to read your blog - you're very uplifting and encouraging both in the way that you are truly amazing and also in the way that it is comforting to hear that someone else's family can be like mine - hahaha. So glad Russ is feeling better - darn those set backs but again, you are so optimistic and inspiring!