Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Monday, October 26, 2009

1,825 Days...give or take a few....


 WOW! 5 Years!

 
  We have been blessed with an itty-bitty baby...




and yet another itty-bitty baby...

Yup...I'd say we're making good time!

Click on my playlist for a really great song..."I run to you"...that I must dedicate to an amazing husband...and in which he would surely dedicate to his AMAZING wife! Five years ago, we would have never been able to predict what our life is now...and our life has surely taken us on a few back-roads we never knew existed! I think we still might be lost on one of em...trying to get back on the interstate with the rest of y'all!

BUT...

I must admit...these back-roads sure are amazing...and we've learned more about what life should REALLY be like....you know....like...

Your always going to have car problems...flat tires along the way...and you can't get going until you FIX em!

Sometimes the "rest stops" are too many miles apart...and it seems like it will be FOREVER until you can get a BREAK from all the driving! Your back will ache...your bum goes numb...your legs get stiff...and even all those Rascal Flatts cd's can get a little old....yeah....if that's even possible!

But you find when you finally arrive, and you get to step out of that car for a few minutes...breathe the fresh air and take in the scenery....you're actually GLAD for all those miles you put behind you!

Life is the biggest "road trip" any of us will ever take....and of all the wonderful things you see and experience, none of it would even matter or mean anything if you didn't go along with your FAMILY.

There is no house, car, high heel shoe, hair style, designer jean, lip gloss, dish set, cruise, theme park, food, concert, game, or any amount of money....or anything money could buy....that will bring me more happiness than my own family! And to be honest...we've learned to be pretty darn happy without all of that "stuff".

I keep thinking of the scripture, "And this is eternal life, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." What could make a person any happier? And how do we come to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? We have to become more LIKE them...and the only way we become like them is by our every day actions.

What and who are we dedicating our time and talents to? What takes the greatest priority in our lives? Think of all the "things" we spend our money on. Do we really need those designer jeans from the GAP or the Buckle? Are those "things" worth the money we spent? What about that family down the street who is struggling to make ends meet? Couldn't we buy a cheaper pair of jeans, and use the portion of money we have left for a greater purpose? Many of us don't have much to give...but we can give our hearts to those around us. We can offer a helping hand, a kind letter or words of encouragement...even a simple "Hello friend, how are you doing today?" We all know there are so many opportunities for us to give and serve and help one another. What greater blessing could a parent offer their children than the gift to learn to give of yourself? To sacrifice your own WANTS to fulfill the NEEDS of another...to fill up the hearts and enrich the souls of our Father's children.

I feel like I can celebrate five years of marriage trying to more fully live my life, and teach my children to live their lives more like our Savior would have us. We are learning step by step, and precept by precept. It isn't easy and all too often I am more selfish than I am compassionate. But my greatest JOY is found in my eternal family....they are my delights, my laughs, my hugs and kisses, a shoulder to cry on, they enlighten me, and so often frustrate me...but how could I ever learn what my loving Heavenly Father would have me learn if is wasn't for my family? They are my way back to eternal life....and as much as I yearn, at times, to take that trip to Hawaii....to buy a brand new car....to have a hired chef to cook all our family meals...and a maid to clean the house....I know that my family will be better off without them....*sniffle*.....and that my heart can only be filled with the greatest of love by giving to others what I would have for myself.

I give so much thanks to a wonderful husband who has walked by my side and held my hand as we learn what life is really about. I look at my children each day and am so grateful for the miracles each of them are. I thank the wonderful family members around us who have shown us so much love, acceptance, compassion, and generosity. It is only because of their examples why I write the things I do...we feel so blessed to be a part of such an amazing extended family. No greater love have we seen than through the lives of those around us.

Thanks Russ...for such an eye opening 5 years of marriage! And I thought that I could never be filled with more love than on the day we were married....how amazing that we have surpassed that love ten-fold! I know that I can always depend on you to be there for me...listening....and sometimes not...that as much as we are grumpy, impatient, short with each other, or just being plain silly...at the end of the day our LOVE is what helps us overcome those daily weaknesses and mishaps. I hope that through whatever we go through in life....whether good or bad....that we can always "Run" to each other.

Hmmm...do you wonder what the next five years will bring??? Haha....I think we will be completely amazed!

love you

*a challenge...
Someday...we will have more to give...and Russ and I decided that we will do all we can to bless the lives of others around us by imparting of our substance...aiding the sick, the needy, the lonely....those with heavy hearts, the downcast, those who are lost, and to those whose spirits have been broken. There is too much pain and sorrow and hurt out there for those of us who have been blessed with so much to look the other way. So many people...so many children... are "running away" from the mean and ugly things of the world...but where will they "run to"?



I refuse to look the other way. Someday....I will be able to roll up my sleeves...and do a work for humanity that too many of us have forgotten how to do....


I challenge anyone who reads this to live their lives...that they can pass this challenge on to others as well...to live each day giving more of your time, talents, substance...your knowledge, your love...your hands....


and bring to this world something a little better, a little kinder, a little more loving...


Let's give something of worth to this world to "run to"....and it is up to each of us to decide what that might be.

6 comments:

Jeigh said...

You always have such great insights on things, and such perfect ways of expressing them. Wow, I can't believe it's been five years! I will take your challenge, and I'm going to start thinking about what it means to me. I'll let you know when I think of something. You are so awesome! Maybe some day I can be just like you! Love ya!

Suzie-Q said...

Happy Happy day to you both, even thought this might be coming a bit late. We love you guys and 5 yrs is a great milestone. Can't wait to see what the next five will bring!

The Nelsons said...

Congrats on five years! Now everything's great from here on out, right? Isn't that what they say? If you can survive the first five years then your golden?

Jennifer Lyn said...

Thanks for writing that Amber! You are so awesome. I want to take your challenge. And I can't believe it has been 5 years! I will always remember your reception because that is the day I got home from my mission. Time really does fly!

Erica Bazil said...

I've been going to a parenting class (offered through an extension of BUY-I) and have loved all the insights it gives me - but let me tell you - I could probably learn the same from just reading your posts. We talk about a diff. subject every week (such as teaching your children to recognize the Spirit, teaching your children Service or Gratitude) and your comments have been so on key with what we've been learning - it's amazing. You're a gifted mother and wife to have it all figured out already. Love your posts!

Ward Family said...

Congrats! Thats great 5 years! Hope eveything is good with your family!