Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This week is spring break for Twin Falls schools. We drove down to Twin Falls to pick up my little brother Ben, and my sister Haylee, so they could spend spring break with us. I picked up Haylee in Idaho Falls, where she was at a dance competition with my aunt and her kids. As I was driving on the interstate, I heard a funny sound coming from the car, and wondered what it was. But as I kept driving, I didn't notice anything else, so I tried not to worry. I picked up Haylee, and we headed off towards Pocatello. We made our stop there, at Wal Mart, to buy some snacks and drinks, and let Anna and Carter get out of the car for a bit. As we were in Pocatello, I kept debating on whether I should stop at Russ's parents house, and just let Bob (Russ's dad) check over our car to make sure everything was in order. But I talked myself out of it, feeling the need to just get to Twin Falls.

So, we left Pocatello, and somewhere between there and the Raft River exit, as Haylee and I were just chatting away, we heard a huge "explosion" coming from my car! Haylee, immediately started to close her eyes and hung on for dear life, expecting sudden death, as I looked out the rear view mirror to see an almost complete tire go tumbling behind us. As scary as it was, I calmly switched lanes, and then pulled over, while driving on only three tires and one rim. When the car finally stopped, I was shaking! I called Russ (since he had to stay in Rexburg because we did not have enough room for everyone in our car). Russ told me I would have to get the spare tire out of the trunk and put it on! That's when the panic set in! I have never done that before, and probably watched Russ do it once before we were married! And to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention!

Luckily, a couple and their daughter stopped, and the nice gentleman put on the spare for me, in which I watched VERY carefully, in case I needed to do it again! We drove 50 mph to Burley, where the local Wal Mart put on a new tire for us, and then we finally made it to Twin Falls after being in the car 6 1/2 hours!! The trip should have only taken maybe 3-3 1/2 hours! Whew! What an experience! I suggest to all of you women....have your husbands take you out sometime and learn how to put on a spare! One day you will be very thankful!!!

And as for listening to my "instincts" from the very beginning of the trip, I am sure that I was having these tiny pricks of thought throughout the trip, and they were coming from the Holy Ghost, trying to warn me! I know now that I should not dismiss such feelings ever again! What a learning experience!

When we got back to Rexburg Sunday evening, we talked Ben into letting Russ give him a hair cut! Ben was thinking it was cool to grow it out long, probably how a lot of kids are doing it now, but somehow, this little nine year old just couldn't pull off the look! So, Monday morning, Russ cut it all off, and we had to take a "before" and "after" picture! Here it is:
Doesn't Ben look so AWESOME now with his spikey new hair-do??? I think he almost looks like a different kid!
I decided to give Carter some spikes too, since we all decided the two boys have some similar traits! I do have to mention that both of them are quite cute! Carter was a little hard to work with and was not too happy about getting his picture taken, but after a few takes we got a pretty satisfactory picture.


Ta da! We sure love this cute little man! Anna and Carter have had so much fun so far with two visitors in our home, and granted, it feels a little cramped, but we love to have friends and family over to stay and play!

6 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

What great story. I don't know if I could go and put the spare on either. I've done it beofre but only to practice, if it was something that had to be done right now I problaly couldn't do it, let alone even left the tire right now.
I do agree with the haircut it looks much better cut. Great job!

Alli said...

How scary.. I am glad you are all safe.. I love the spikes.. Boys with thin hair have a harder time pulling off that shaggy hair do..

Rachel M. said...

Glad everyone is ok!! I like the haircuts too!!

Jeigh said...

I'm glad you were OK, and that you now know how to change a tire! It is a valuable skill. And I love Carter's hair (Ben's, too), it makes him look like a sweet little man!

Cami Jo said...

What a brave girl you are! I don't know what I would have done in that situation.

so...guess who is the biggest thief in the whole world?? Any guesses? Well... me. Yeah- I was going through the kids' spring clothes and came across a very cute pair of maroon capri's and a little top that have an "A M" on the tag, written in black marker. I remember telling you I still had it, but then totally forgot all about it! I'm so sorry. Funny thing is...I think the capri's will still fit Kenzie this year, since she's only grown taller and not any bigger in the waste (which works for capri's- ya know?_ SO... anyway, please let me know when you'll be in Poky again and I'll meet you somewhere....OR.... we could get the kids together sometime to play, and I'll give them to you then. I really am so sorry, and feel like an idiot!!! Thanks for still being my friend, even though I have a serious problem. I promise I'll never borrow anything again!

The Nelsons said...

thanks for the congrats. We are so excited! i'm glad you guys are safe. thats so scary! good thing there are kind people in the world willing to help out!