Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Bedtime Routine"

Lately...the bedtime routine at our home is like this:

Clean up bedroom. Get jammies on. Brush teeth. Go pee. Carter...well, refusing to go pee. Clean up bedroom again. Read a few books. And then "one more". And then "one more". And then "one more". Crying. Why? Because mom absolutely REFUSES to read "one more"! Anna climbs in bed. Cover her up. Hugs and kisses. Carter climbs in Anna's bed. Gets pulled by any limb mom can reach over top of bunk bed. Crying. Carter in bed. Covered up. Hugs and kisses. Mom sings a "goodnight" song. And then "one more". and then "one more"! No more SONGS...mommy really CAN'T sing! Anna needs "Fluffy". Carter needs "doggie". Anna needs "Sassy". Carter needs "bear". Crying...NO MORE ANIMALS! Sniffles but kids are okay, snuggled with animals and blankets. Carter needs a drink. Crying...mom said no drinks until morning. More crying. Carter throws bear on the floor. Mom takes bear away...that is the rule. More crying. Carter wants bear. Mom wonders if he will ever learn. Mom gives carter the bear. Yup...Carter throws bear back on the floor! Bear gets put away until morning. Mom, at the door. Tries to shut the door. Anna needs a hug and a kiss! Mom reminds her she already got one! Anna says NO she didn't. Mom says YES she did! Crying. Mom gives Anna a hug and a kiss. Mom reminds Anna to PLEASE remember this time. Mom blows kisses. Shuts bedroom door. Lets out a huge sigh of relief. Goes to the couch and plops down. Eats something unhealthy. Hears a faint voice calling for, "Mommy!" What could it be now???

Tonight, Anna needed to ask me a very important question. I was trying to listen to what Anna was asking me, while holding Carter's legs down and explaining to him that he can't keep kicking the wall at bedtime. I couldn't understand what Anna was trying to say. I asked her to repeat it again...and again!

"Girl! I cannot figure out what you are talking about!"

"Mom, you know, weserwectshun!"

"Wes-er-wa-WHAT?"

"You know mom...with yer feet and yer hands?"

Then it finally clicks, she's saying "resurrection"! Now I get it! So, Anna, what about it, I ask. She then asks me if she will have to get nails put in her feet and hands, too, when she gets resurrected. Like Jesus. I was surprised that she thought she would have to go through that too! She seemed very worried. I explained to her the Jesus was crucified, that mean people hung him on a cross, and AFTER he died, THEN he was resurrected! I told her that the only person who would be hung on a cross was Jesus. That she wouldn't have to be crucified, or anyone else. We would all die normally, and our spirits would go to Heaven, and then someday after that, we would be resurrected and our spirits and bodies would be re-united!

She heaved out a huge sigh of relief, got a big grin on her face and repeated, "Yeah! We not have to get nails in our hands and feet, just Jesus! We not have to be hunged on a cross, huh mom?"

"Nope. Just Jesus."

I'm sure glad He did what He did....so my baby girl can be resurrected and live with Him again. I think she was pretty grateful for Jesus too....knowing that He suffered the pain.....so she wouldn't have to.

After THAT conversation, I was pretty grateful for the whole "Bedtime Routine" after-all....

Good night!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm glad to hear that our bedtime routine is not the only crazy one! It's exasperating to get them in bed sometimes, and only something unhealthy really makes it all better some nights.
But I have noticed that on those nights that I am paying more attention and I am not in as big of a hurry, my kids ask more serious questions about the life and the Gospel. I'm learning to pay attention and not rush those times!

Jeigh said...

Wow, that sound almost exactly like our bedtime routine. Just change the names! That's awesome that you were able to catch that teaching moment. Sometimes it's hard to stop and let them happen, especially at bedtime when you want them to just be quiet and let you get to your treats! Love ya! You're an awesome mom!

Suzie-Q said...

We have abed time routine very similar to that one. but I love that question, it brought tears to my eyes.
Kids are just wonderful!