Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A challenge for all mothers...

I read this off of a friend's blog, and she got it from her cousin's blog, but I LOVED it and had to pass it on! It is EXACTLY what I needed to read this week...and I think it is exactly what some of you need to read too.

 
How do you think of your children? On any given day, would you say your children are a blessing or a burden? Here is a challenge to you…How are you?”…“How is the baby?”…“How are your kids?”… We all hear these questions every day. Do you know a mom who always answers something like this: “Well, I haven’t killed my 2-year-old yet, so I guess that’s good.” Or, “I’m just exhausted,” or, “Things are absolutely crazy – I am so stressed out!”

Maybe that frazzled, haggard, bewildered mommy is someone you know. Maybe it’s you. I know I’ve been there. Here is my question to you today… are we bearing our blessings as burdens? Those babies that we dreamt of and prayed for, that we had so much fun choosing names for, that we counted the days to meet… are they burdens to us now? Those homes that we were ecstatic to move into… are they burdens now? That husband that we couldn’t live without, that we picked out the wedding dress for, that we cried and ached and waited by the phone for… is he a burden now? That job you needed, you wanted and prayed for, that provides food and clothing for your family… is it a burden now?Sometimes it seems to me like a mantle we as moms must carry. We must be tired, we must be stressed out; we must be harried and frazzled, we must be lucky just to make it through the day. Are we bearing our blessings as burdens? Are we tired? Absolutely.

As moms, we know about the 2 a.m. feedings, the nightmares, the wet beds, the midnight curfews. Do things get a little stressful between PTA meetings, dance class, the T-ball game, and dinner on the table at 6? Sure they do. Are husbands always a joy when they get home from work? No way. Is scrubbing the potty, doing the laundry, and cleaning the high chair tray the greatest thrill we’ve ever known? Of course not.

So how do we look past the burdens and see the blessings of our families and our homes? Do you know any women who would give anything to have a baby to nurse at 2 a.m.? Anyone who would love to have those clothes we are sick of washing, or that house we just can’t keep clean. Do you know any women whose husbands aren’t coming home?

I challenge you to joy, to smile, to persevere. I challenge you to bear your burdens as blessings and watch as they multiply. And the next time someone asks you how you are, throw off that identity of stressed out, frazzled mommy, find your smile and answer, “I am blessed!” 
 
 And all I can add to that is, "Amen!"
Thank you Brinley's cousin, for such amazing insight and perspective!

3 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

Just so you know I am truly blessed!! And really I don't know what I would do without all the little interruptions in my everyday life. It would really be weird for me just to get something done without having it take all day long to complete.
Amber girl You are so awesome!! and about the post that was there last night but not there today-- I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I just have one question where were you V.T's during this? and why didn't they report to here that you were having some difficulties and you needed help?
I wish we were a bit closer so that we could help you out more. It is hard to express everything that we would like to in a e-mail but I guess it will have to do for now.
Love you!!

Erin said...

Hey Amber...I wasn't going to leave a message on your blog, since you don't know me well (I just happened to click on your blog from Jeigh's list one boring day), but I have to tell you that this message has been instrumental in changing my thinking this week! Everytime I start to feel irritated with my kids, I remember the things you posted, and I remember how much I wanted to be a mother and to live this exact life that I am living now! So thanks for posting this and for reminding me what's really important!

Sarahie said...

I missed this one before, but Jeigh has a link to it on her blog. I have to thank you so much for posting it. I want to print it out and read it every day to remind me that I am now living the life I once longed and prayed for. At the very least, I may copy it and post it on my blog. I think more of us tired mommies need to remind ourselves how truly blessed we are. Thank you so much!