Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Morning routines...

My days begin early. I thought they would begin with me and a grumpy attitude, waking up before the sun. I would drag my body out of bed, groggy, only half-thinking, and somehow manage!


I was wrong!!!

I actually enjoy waking up early! Shocking, I know! I remain shocked even as I type...

(Gasp!!!)

So, part of my plan for establishing "order" with my family, was to get myself on a better morning routine. Not that my usual way of going about the mornings didn't work out so well, but it didn't work so well either. That sentence might not make sense, but read it again. I did. Makes sense.

I have found that the mornings go much better, and smoother, and with less contention when I am better prepared. Yeah...when I have a PLAN. Rocket science, I know...

Plans work better when they involve goals....and not just any who-ha goal, one that you actually WANT to achieve, and WILL achieve.....with a PLAN! I am going somewhere with this....promise. Sooooo, my morning routine includes a plan that includes a goal. Whew!

It's killing you trying to figure out that goal, huh? Well, I AM pretty predictable, so if you know me at all, a word might pop into your head that has to do with "running"....right? Those of you who feel pride for having guessed right, just keep that goofy grin on your face. People will wonder what you are smiling for. For those of you who thought things like, "cleaning" or "laundry", well....shame on you!

(This picture is a huge motivating force for me! You have to find motivation somewhere, reminders to help you stay on track!! I need to hang this in my bathroom...)

I know, it's not very original...my morning goal....millions have been running early in the morning, but now I get to join them. I am only in the first week of my early morning runs, but if I blog about it, then I might feel more obligation, peer pressure, whatever....to keep doing it. I have always LOVED to run, I am very competitive, I care about being healthy, and I really really want to fit back into my old jeans...

This goal is perfect for me. I figure I will be in shape enough by next September to run a half or full marathon. A mom in my ward just won the women's Marathon here in Pocatello at their annual "Running the Gap Marathon" event. Penny Parrish....know her? Yeah, she's amazing! I am hoping she can give me some much needed advice about training for such a run.

Anyhoo...

It feels good now that I am putting into action my new morning routine. I get back from my run in time to wake Anna up so she can get ready for school. By that time, Carter and Kya are awake too, so we are all up and eating, getting dressed, brushing teeth (that one still needs to happen more consistently) and getting outside too. Once Kya goes down for her morning nap at 9, I shower and get myself ready, and then I have an hour before she gets up to accomplish the daily goals or "chores" I need to get done for that morning.

Want to know something cool? Russ even went running with me. He's thinking of doing a 5K next September. Cool. I hope my kids will grow to love running as well, and when they are older, I will totally take them with me on my runs. New goal!!

(It doesn't look like it, but I was pulling her the whole way...otherwise, she wouldn't have ran. Don't worry, I won't be the kind of parent who forces their child to do something, but I really, really, really hope at least one child wants to be involved in running!!! If not, well....I will just have to be a coach! )

FYI: my kids love to run now...

The thing is.....I want to make the most of each day. And why not involve things that keep our bodies healthy while we are at it? I know what kinds of problems might be waiting in the dark in my near future if I don't take care of my body. And I don't want to set a bad example for my kids, to have to watch them suffer too. It is so much easier to be proactive. Make choices NOW, instead of waiting until it's almost too late.

So, that's it. Morning routine in a nutshell.

Next goal: make a weekly plan for meals, so we can have dinner on time, which gives us enough time for the bedtime routine and in bed no later than 8pm. I am also planning out a weekly schedule for cleaning that I want to do and chores I want my kids to do. (so I can finally use my magnetic chore chart that I made for the kids, with magnets that have pictures of the things they do daily and weekly) Please share your ideas, or what your weekly plan is for meals and cleaning!

Links for more reading:
(good stuff, but if you aren't careful, you can spend hours reading articles!! But if you are a nerd like me, you enjoy hours of reading this stuff...I sure do!)

Organize Your Morning Routine
Charts for morning/bedtime routines, additional articles
Morning Madness?
Back To Basics
On-time and Un-stressed


Don't worry, we will all struggle, even with something simple like our morning and evening routines. But our efforts are worth it. It's all just part of.....LIFE.....



No comments: