Grant me patience
to deal with my
BLESSINGS!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

BEST EVER Oatmeal Cookies!

I figured that since my cookies looked so yummy in the pictures, you all would like the recipe and try them out yourselves! Here it is:

1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

(Note: if you don't have nutmeg, you can add 1/4 tsp cloves and ginger, plus the cinnamon...it is really good too! I tried it! And make sure you adjust the recipe for high altitude, they turn out better...for those in Pocatello, Rexburg, Idaho area.)

preparation:

1. Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Add oats; mix well.

2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie or 10 to 11 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Servings: ABOUT 3 DOZEN

notes and cook tips
HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups and bake as directed.

variations :

BAR COOKIES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. 24 BARS

VARIATIONS:
Stir in 1 cup raisins or chopped nuts.
Omit spices; stir in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or peanut butter-flavored chips.

-I made a dozen plain oatmeal cookies, then I added 1 cup craisens to the oatmeal mixture, made a dozen, then added to the remaining mixture finely chopped apple pieces. With one recipe, you are able to make three kinds of yummy and more healthy cookies!

2 comments:

Suzie-Q said...

They really do sound GREAT!!

Jeigh said...

Thanks for this recipe! I've wanted a good oatmeal cookie recipe, but I didn't have one, and I'm sure any recipe from you will taste awesome. I like how you made the three different kinds. I'll try them out (it might take me a while to get around to it) and let you know how it goes!